AUTISM - TRADITIONAL AND INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES THAT CAN HELP IN SOME CASES
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
In this expose, we are going to start reviewing the traditional ways to deal with Autism and in some cases intellectual Disability. The reason why I am writing this is firstly because I have a young Son who was diagnosed with Autism, and later on with Intellectual Disability. I am from an Immigrant background and come from a place where Autism is still a taboo. We do feel indeed very blessed to have been able to establish ourselves in Canada, a country that we find tolerant towards kids like ours, not only compared to where we come from, but even in comparison with many advanced countries!!!
First, please forgive me in advance if my English is not perfect. You have to understand that it is my 3rd language after my local language and French.
When coming here, my son has barely been able to speak. He was unable to write, read and express his emotions. Often, he would have many tantrums, some of which were quite hard to deal with. We went to see many specialists and although we do admit that many of them did a terrific job in helping him, finding resources were sometimes a struggle. Me and my spouse sometimes visit pages dealing with Autism in The provinces of BC and Alberta and what we have noticed is that we were far from being alone as many parents were struggling, sometimes in a way that is worse than we did.
Today, my son has made some improvements in many areas (much still need to be done though) and he is able to read, write (needs some improvement but what he writes start to be readible) and expresses his emotions in a much better way. He now can memorize things better (not perfect yet but he is doing some progress) and starts to be able to do some socializing...even if he still does it in a silly way sometimes.
We train him everyday to read, write, form letters and at home, by using exercises like in this site:
we try to speak with him, tease him, but we do let him have his free time being himself. we let him watch cartoons (sth that allows him to develop his focus) and play those old model electronic game where one needs to press real buttons and screen is not as bright as for an ipad for example.
About the pages on FB groups...Another thing that we spotted was the lack of empathy coming from SOME people writing in those pages, or worse, people (canadians and Americans mostly) who blamed parents of autistc children of being "bad parents". What a lack of empathy and a total lack of comprehension!!!
My goal to write those lines is NOT to give false hopes to parents...surely it is NOT my purpose. But seeing the harsh comments coming from SOME (a minority of) people on those pages, I wanted to write about possible alternatives to traditional treatments. In have made a few researhc on those techniques but due to time constraints (it is not easy to raise an austistic child), I ahve toa dmit that I probbaly did not go that far into my venture, but ...at least, I found a few "alternatives" that may come on top of traditional techniques or whch may be available within the next 5 years or few decades. Now, I am not saying here that OUR children will no longer need OT or our children will no longer need a BI, but having those innovative techniques one day could be the light at the end of the tunnel for many many of us, parents. and by the way, if I ever gave you false hopes, I would give myself very false hopes top!
Let's start with the traditional techniquesm that we already know:
Occupational Therapy (OT)
Occupational therapy focuses on helping autistic individuals participate more comfortably and independently in everyday activities. An occupational therapist observes how a person interacts with their environment and identifies areas where support would be helpful, such as fine motor skills, sensory processing, or daily routines. OT sessions may include playful, hands-on activities that build coordination, improve hand strength, and support the ability to use tools like pencils, scissors, or utensils. Therapists often design personalized strategies to make tasks like dressing, brushing teeth, or transitioning between activities easier. One major focus of OT is understanding sensory needs—whether a person seeks out movement, avoids loud noises, or responds differently to touch—and creating a plan that helps them regulate their sensory system in a comfortable and empowering way.
Speech and Language Therapy
Speech and language therapy supports communication in all its forms, not just spoken words. A speech-language pathologist assesses how a person expresses themselves, understands language, and interacts socially. For some, therapy may involve developing clearer speech sounds, expanding vocabulary, or improving comprehension. For others, the focus may be on AAC (Augmentative and Alternative Communication), which includes picture boards, communication apps, or speech-generating devices. This allows individuals to share their thoughts even if speech is difficult. Therapy is often fun and play-based, using games, books, or real-life routines to build communication skills naturally. Modern, neurodiversity-affirming speech therapy prioritizes respecting a person's communication style and never forces eye contact, speech, or social behaviors that cause discomfort.
Sensory-Based Approaches
Many autistic individuals experience the world differently through their senses. Lights might feel too bright, noises too loud, or certain textures uncomfortable. Sensory-based approaches help address these differences by creating environments and activities that support comfort and regulation. Therapists may use sensory integration techniques, such as swinging, bouncing, brushing, or deep-pressure activities, to help the nervous system process sensory input more smoothly. At home or school, sensory-friendly tools—like weighted blankets, compression vests, fidget toys, or noise-cancelling headphones—can reduce overwhelm and improve focus. Sensory supports are not about “fixing” behaviors but helping the person feel safe, calm, and more in control of their body.
Strength-Based Educational Approaches
Strength-based learning recognizes that autistic individuals often have unique interests and talents that can become powerful tools for learning. Instead of working against these interests, educators integrate them into lessons to increase motivation and understanding. Visual supports such as picture schedules, step-by-step charts, or color-coded materials help make expectations clear and reduce anxiety. Predictable routines and gentle transitions allow students to feel secure throughout their day. This approach avoids high-pressure demands and instead creates a flexible environment where a child’s pace and needs are respected. When learning builds on strengths—such as a fascination with numbers, animals, or patterns—students often feel more confident and engaged.
Social Skills Support (Neurodiversity-Affirming)
Neurodiversity-affirming social skills support focuses on helping autistic individuals navigate social interactions in ways that feel safe and natural to them. Instead of teaching scripted behaviors or enforcing eye contact, modern programs encourage mutual understanding and authentic communication. Groups or one-on-one sessions may help individuals interpret social cues, manage group activities, or build friendships based on shared interests. These supports prioritize consent, personal boundaries, and emotional comfort. The goal is not to make an autistic person appear “less autistic,” but to equip them with tools to express themselves confidently and connect with others in ways that respect their identity.
Mental Health Supports
Because autistic individuals may face stress, anxiety, or burnout—often due to sensory overload or social pressures—mental health care can play an important role. Therapists trained in neurodiversity-informed practices understand autistic communication styles, sensory needs, and the impact of masking. They use strategies such as emotion regulation techniques, mindfulness adapted to sensory preferences, or cognitive-behavioral tools tailored specifically for autistic individuals. Mental health support can help with self-advocacy, coping with transitions, and building confidence. A supportive therapist can also help reduce the pressure to “fit in” and instead encourage authentic self-expression and self-acceptance.
What about the non-traduitional techniques?
This is something I almost found by accident about 2 years ago. I kept to myself for a while as I did not want to make people believe that I found some solutions. Now, Autism is probably something which would remain within the individual, some say it "cannot be cured" and may be it might still be true, but even though it is true, it does not mean that using some innovative techniques are worthless or make no sense. If using those technologies can halp alleviate the effect of the symptons, or decrease tantrums in a kid, or make a kid become more independent, then ...may it is worth considering.
Here is a new technology which has not been approved yet, but which may help SOME parents or some families in the next feww years. I put it here in case:
A Potential Cure for Autism: New Research Finds That Gene Therapy Could Treat Pitt-Hopkins Syndrome
extract: "The scientists, who published their findings in the journaleLife, created an experimental,gene-therapy-liketechnique to restore the normal function of the gene-deficient in people with Pitt-Hopkins syndrome. The medication prevented the onset of disease indicators such as anxiety-like behavior, memory impairments, and abnormal gene expression patterns in afflicted brain cells in newborn mice that would otherwise model the syndrome.
“This first, proof-of-principle demonstration suggests that restoring ...."
I am also including some research made by French scientists (artilce in French) in case it may be helpful
Just on July 2026, a good friend of mine sent the following information about a hospital located in Serbia and Switzerland. remember that I have an autistic kid who is struggling deeply with focus and social interactions and I am also looking for alternatives.
At this point, I am looking for information and assessing different possibilities before heading towards a DEFINITE DECISION. IN case you want to go ahead or explore that option, I am putting the link for you (SWISS MEDICA):
Review wise looks okay but I would do some independent research, same for the first one)
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
As this therapy is still new, I STRONGLY SUGGEST anyone to make some deep research (may be even look for someone on the forum or FB) who may have undergone it and make this person is legit. You can also may be look for 2-3 different persons and ask them directly....just to make sure. At least, this is how I would do it...may be this is my African way but this is what I would do...get legit information first, analyze those information, do more research from time to time, and may be...store those found information onto either a BLOG or a word document so that you do not lose them over time....while waiting, you can check if there are any updates on technologies and depending on those updates...may be decide to proceed or push decision further in time..
I know we (parents) are sometimes hopeless, tired and exhausted (that can really cloud our judgement) but the last thing you want is to engage into something and later on, discover that despite the treatment, nothing improved.
I would do some deeper research FIRST (even on this company I was given to) and you should too. If you find something, you can still post it in the message and if it can help others, I will post it here.
Thank you
Another way you can do it too would be this: If the autism is MANAGEABLE still, you can go on with the usual treatment you have (OT, Speech therapy, BI, or medications that your GP gives) but wait a FEW MORE YEARS until may be a new technology or system becomes available....
This can be also a good alternative...WAIT and SEE and then decide later on (instead of rushing and then wishing you hadn't been so fast) whether or not you wanna go along....
I admit you that I have started looking around since 2021 and between then and now, I noticed that in some countries (like France for example), some new methods came into existence.... so by waiting, sometimes, you also get other alternatives.
If I happen to find other options or alternatives, I promise you I will put it there for us and share them with ALL IOF YOU or all of US!!!!
Traitement de l’autisme à base de cellules souches
*** this page is susceptible to change as time goes. I will leave the OLD findings on it so don’t worry, they won’t disappear BUT each time that I will find new articles or findings, I will add it up to the ones already existing up here. hope that through this, some of us can find some help or at least, direct energy towards a more precise direction ***
Hi All, Are you looking or Have you been looking for EXERCISES Templates for your Little ones or..Are you a busy parent, teacher, or homeschooler looking for fun and easy ways to keep kids engaged? or are you looking for ADULT COLOURING BOOKS, TEMPLATES or MORE? https://payhip.com/MagicPrintsCanada Look no further! Our Kids’ Templates Collection is here to spark imagination and make learning exciting! Here we got: - Educational worksheets (ABC, 123, shapes & more!) - Printable coloring pages - Craft templates for holidays - reading comprehension, - tracing and writing exercises ...And we will even add more as time goes...so please feel free to pop in ANYTIME SOON to find out more! Visit us at : https://payhip.com/MagicPrintsCanada
Would you like to expand your product range or launch a cost-competitive e-commerce site, while developing your customer base? If so, this opportunity could be of great interest to you. The first site I'd recommend is HOSTINGER, a high-performance web hosting service that makes your site accessible on the Internet, quickly and securely. To take advantage of our special offer (20% discount if you click on this link), simply follow the link below: https://hostinger.com?REFERRALCODE=N06TSEHCLGK9 To help you, I've included a short video: ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUoerrkLT_Q Now if you are looking for TRACING/WRITING EXERCISES for your kids and TEMPLATES FOR YOU (business templates etc...), please visit MAGICPRINTSCANADA on: https://payhip.com/MagicPrintsCanada
Comments
Post a Comment